Friday 19 September 2014

Top 5 | Blushes for Autumn/Winter.

I know, I KNOW. I pretty much fell off the face of the earth this past week or so.. I'm so sorry! I moved into a new house on the other side of the country, started back for my second year of college last week and had a friend staying with me all weekend so I had zero time to blog. That, and I've had 2 novels and 19th Century French poetry to deal with since last week. I'm hoping I'm now back into a semi regular blogging schedule again. I'm finding it difficult to balance that and college, but I'll make it work! Anyway, onto the good stuff... blush! I did a post on my top blushes for spring/summer and decided I would do one for autumn/winter too. I tend to go for more muted tones on my cheeks at this time, and go for a heavy contour and highlight. With it being the season for dark lips, however, I still think it's important to have some bit of colour on the cheeks, to stop your face from looking very washed out.




1. Sin (Nars)
I feel like I need to start this post off with possibly the best blush for this season. Don't get me wrong, I love them all. But, I definitely hold Nars blushes very dear to my heart. Sin was actually the first ever Nars blush I got (betcha all thought it was gonna be Orgasm, right?) It's such an interesting colour and I've never seen another brand do one quite like it. In the pan, it really doesn't look like anything special... at certain times, it doesn't even look that nice! It's a very muted, grey/brown plum with gold shimmer running through. The cool tones makes it the perfect autumn blush/contour hybrid and the sheen adds a really nice effect to the cheeks without looking gritty. I love the colour of this, and you can pretty much guarantee that if I'm wearing a deep purple toned lipstick, I'm wearing this on my cheeks!

NARS Sin

2. Suede (Sleek)
If you like a warmer colour on the cheeks but still want something that isn't too bright or coral, Suede is your best friend. I've spoken about my love for Sleek blushes before, and this is no exception. It's matte and really pigmented. It's one I get a lot of use out of any time of year, actually. This is my "I have loads going on on my eyes and/or lips and just want something to give me colour" kind of blush. It almost acts like a bronzer/blush hybrid in the way Sin does. It's a nude peach tone that goes great with a dark lip or dramatic New Years Eve glitter eyes that seem to reappear every year...

Sleek Suede 

3. Nutmeg (Topshop)
Keeping in theme with the more nude and muted shades, Nutmeg is a great nude rose shade. I love this with plum tones on the lips! I LOVE cream blush for winter, possibly even more than I do for summer time. With winter generally comes dry skin, and cream blush is a nicer alternative to powder for a fresher finish to the cheeks. That, and the packaging is super adorable. Please don't judge me on the state of this one, it's pretty well loved and I will give 10 gold stars to anyone who can keep a cream blush looking pretty after 2 uses!

Topshop Nutmeg

4. Heather Silk (Wet n Wild)
Heather Silk is a great shade if you want more of a pop of colour on the cheeks in winter. This looks great against fair skin for a "pinched cheeks" effect. The hint of pink in it brightens the face, but it's still lightly muted, which goes well with the more berry toned lips we see coming in this time of year. The texture of this blush is so soft, it kicks up a bit of excess powder but it blends beautifully into the skin and lasts really well. The only thing I dislike about this is the packaging, but Wet n Wild is so inexpensive you can't really hold that against them!

Wet n Wild Heather Silk

5. Rockateur (Benefit)
Benefit boxed blushes are one of my favourite things from the brand, but god does the packaging make it hard to photograph the product! Anyway, Rockateur is one that I originally looked at and thought "Nah, pretty but not for me and my milk bottle skin, it'll look too gold and brash on me" oh god, was I wrong. So wrong. Rose gold is really the only way to describe this blush. It's slightly beige and on the nude side, definitely not too pink. It definitely has a shimmer to it but nothing too metallic or obnoxious, I love the way it looks on the skin. The warm, beige/nude undertones mixed with the pink and gold make it a really nice blush to compliment any burgundy shades on the lips without being too matchy matchy (if Sin isn't your thing!). The quality of this blush is lovely, in true Benefit style. While I was hesitant at first to buy this blush because of my skintone, I honestly think it would look great on a multitude of people!

Benefit Rockateur

L-R: Sin, Heather Silk, Suede

L-R: Rockateur, Nutmeg
What are your favourite colours to wear on your cheeks this time of year? Let me know your favourite blushes below! In the meantime, keep up the date with me on Instagram ... I promise I've been a lot more active there lately than on my blog. Hopefully I'm back on track now ;) x

No comments :

Post a Comment