Tuesday 22 July 2014

Review | Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade.

I had heard so many American bloggers raving about Anastasia Beverly Hills brow products - brow powders, Brow Wiz, brow gels and more recently, Dipbrow Pomades. The latter really intrigued me, I'm all about finding new brow techniques that are different to a powder or pencil. I will be doing a more detailed brow related post to follow this up, which will include a multitude of different ways to fill in the brows for different looks and brow types. However, I feel the Dipbrow deserves a post all on its own because it is absolutely amazing! One of the only downsides to the brand itself is that it's very difficult to get in the UK and Ireland and I only ever see it on very selective online retailers so unfortunately you don't have the luxury of colour matching your brow products. I was on a waiting list for the Dipbrow so they're really not the easiest of products to get. I ordered mine from Cult Beauty which I would highly recommend as they carry a whole host of Anastasia products (contour kits and everything in between!)


I like big brows and I cannot lieeeee. Using the Anastasia Dipbrow Pomade.

But back to the Dipbrow Pomade. I have the shade Dark Brown. It's definitely a very unique product. The Dipbrow comes in a weighty glass pot that feels very high quality. I really like the packaging but you should definitely be sure to screw the lid on tightly to prevent the product drying up! Before I move on from the packaging, as a disclaimer, I definitely don't have a thinnest of brows naturally but I do like to fill them in for a more dramatic look (particularly the tail). I think the Dipbrow makes a huge difference to my own brows but I have also used it on a friend with sparse brows and it worked just as well!
The formula itself is a very creamy mousse texture - and it is very creamy! You have to use a very light hand when dipping your brow brush into the jar or you can be left with wayyy too much on the brush. I've read a lot of reviews saying that it's too cakey and hard to use but as long as you use a tiny amount and take your time when applying, then there should be absolutely no problem! I won't lie and tell you it's the easiest thing in the world to use - it definitely isn't in the beginning. That being said, if you practice and take your time with it the first few goes then you will get the hang of it and I ended up cutting my brow time in half when using the Dipbrow because it becomes to easy to get the hang of.



This is such a fantastic product for really sculpting out the brows and giving a dramatic look which I am allll about. I'm not really sure its for everyone but if you're into a defined brow then this is the product for you. That being said, I have seen a lot of people make this work with a very light hand in creating quite a natural brow so I suppose it really does just depend on personal preference and how much you use. It's pretty much waterproof and incredibly long lasting. Seriously, I slept with this stuff on my brows (Don't judge me.Once off thing.Don't recommend it and won't do it again) and they still looked amazing the next day.
It does claim to be smudgeproof and I agree with that to a certain extent. Because it's so creamy, upon initial application it is definitely NOT smudgeproof. Sometimes I wipe my brow accidentally while applying and end up with the Dipbrow on my forehead - not cute, but easily fixed with a bit of concealer. However, once it sets, it sets and it is going nowhere! Great for summer time and humid climates. Longevity wise it's a 10/10. 

I absolutely love how pigmented the Dipbrow is. It's so opaque and really does glide over the brow pretty much effortlessly - no tugging like you'd normally get with a hard pencil. The dense pigmentation means that a little goes a long long way and I really do have to stress that. It also means that the jar will last you for a crazy long time and so I think it's well worth the £15 price tag, especially when you take into consideration the price of a MAC brow pencil that only lasts me 2 months at the most. Brows are so important to the face so I really don't mind spending a bit more on a good product, although I really don't think that Anastasia brow items are insanely expensive!

Anastasia Dipbrow Pomade - Dark Brown (Swatch)

The only real downside I have towards this product is the shade range - it's pretty terrible to be quite honest. When I first bought the Dipbrow Pomade, they were only sold in 5 shades (Blonde, Auburn, Chocolate, Dark Brown and Ebony) However, since then, they have released 3 more colours (Medium Brown, Soft Brown, Taupe) which is definitely a silver lining. I probably would have chosen one of the 3 newer shades because they seem to be more flattering to my brow colour. Although I have dark brows, I actually typically go for an ashy blonde pencil because of the cool tones and darken with a powder if needed. The Blonde Dipbrow looked almost green in any swatches I had seen so I decided to choose between Chocolate and Dark Brown. Dark Brown was the cooler of the 2 but I feel it's a little bit too dark even for me. I mean, I can still wear it... but I'm tempted to buy Taupe to mix in with Dark Brown. That is the beauty of the Pomade, they can be mixed for a custom colour but the limited shade range does make it a hassle to colour match yourself, especially if you don't have a Sephora around the corner! 

Bare brows - no product.

Brows with Dipbrow Pomade. This was actually my first time ever using the product and I fell in love instantly!

I will be doing a more in-depth post about filling in my brows soon, but for the Dipbrow I like to lightly dip my brush into the product and trace the underline portion of my brow to give it the most definition. Then, I dip in again to fill in the arch/tail of my brow. Finally, with the remaining product on the brush I feather short upward strokes at the front of my brow... simples! 

Using Dipbrow Pomade - Dark Brown.

Overall, I really do love this product and it's one I now use every day to fill in my brows. The pigmentation and lasting power is fantastic, the texture is both beautiful and unique, and I love the idea of the Pomade in general. The only downside of this product is the shade range, I definitely would have liked to swatch them in person to better colour match me. If you can do so, then I definitely recommend you do! If not, I would look up swatches of the newer shades because they seem to be more universally flattering. Although the colour match thing is obviously a big deal, I don't want that to stop anyone reading from buying the Dipbrow... if you really are into your brow routine then this is such a fantastic product to own! Something worth mentioning is that the Dipbrow Pomades can also be used as an eyeshadow base or gel eyeliner because they're so long-lasting and act as 2 products in one ;) I definitely want to pick up another Dipbrow and branch out to the Brow Wiz pencils and Contour Kits! 

Have you tried anything from Anastasia before? I'd really love to know in the comments or through Twitter! x


No comments :

Post a Comment